At its meeting on 10 April 2018, the Board of the University, at the proposal of the Senate, elected the following people as academic members of the Executive Board of the University for a four-year term of office from 1 August 2018 to 31 July 2022:
- Prof. Dr. Michael O. Hengartner, full professor of molecular biology, as President of UZH
- Prof. Dr. Beatrice Beck Schimmer, full professor ad personam of anesthesiology, as Director of Medicine
- Prof. Dr. Michael Schaepman, full professor of remote sensing, as Vice President Research
- Prof. Dr. Christian Schwarzenegger, full professor of criminal law, criminal procedure law, and criminology, as Vice President Faculty Affairs and Scientific Information
- Prof. Dr. Gabriele Siegert, full professor of media studies focusing on media economics, as Vice President Education and Student Affairs
The Board of the University also made the following appointments:
- Prof. Dr. Michael Grotzer, b. 1964, is appointed full professor of pediatrics from 1 August 2018. The professorship is linked to the roles of head of clinic and medical director at the University Children’s Hospital Zurich (KISPI). Prof. Grotzer studied human medicine at UZH and earned his doctoral degree in medicine there in 1994. After working variously as resident physician and as visiting physician at the Children’s Hospital in Vienna, he spent three years as a research fellow at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania. Upon his return to Switzerland, Prof. Grotzer became attending physician for oncology and general pediatrics at the KISPI, and in 2002 he habilitated at UZH. Prof. Grotzer has been chief of service for neuro-oncology/oncology at the KISPI since 2004, and since 2013 has been responsible for leading the specialist area of oncology/immunology/hematology/stem cell transplants. In 2009, he was granted an adjunct professorship at UZH.
Further professorial appointments
- Prof. Dr. Hannes Schwandt, b. 1982, is appointed assistant professor of economics of child and youth development with tenure track from 1 September 2018. Prof. Schwandt has been conducting research and teaching as an assistant professor at UZH in the same area of specialization since September 2015.
- Prof. Dr. Anne Meylan, b. 1977, is appointed assistant professor of philosophy focusing on theoretical philosophy with tenure track from 1 August 2018. Prof. Meylan has held an SNSF assistant professorship at the University of Basel since 2015.
- Dr. Daniel Wiegand, b. 1980, is appointed assistant professor of film studies with tenure track from 1 August 2018. Dr. Wiegand has been working as a postdoc at Stockholm University, Sweden, since 2016.
- Prof. Dr. Benjamin F. Grewe, b. 1980, is appointed assistant professor of neuroinformatics and neural systems with tenure track, a dual professorship with ETH, from 1 May 2018. Prof. Grewe has been conducting research and teaching at UZH and ETH’s joint Institute of Neuroinformatics since fall 2016.
- Prof. Dr. Richard Chahwan, b. 1977, is appointed assistant professor of clinical tumor immunology from 1 August 2018. Dr. Chahwan has been conducting research and teaching at the University of Exeter, UK, since 2013.
The following professors will be entering retirement from 31 July 2018. We thank them for their services to the development of their subject areas, to their students, and to UZH.
- Prof. Dr. Felix Sennhauser, full professor of pediatrics
- Prof. Dr. Klara Landau, full professor of ophthalmology
- Prof. Dr. Alfred Buck, associate professor ad personam of nuclear medicine
- Prof. Dr. Hans-Joachim Haug, full professor ad personam of psychiatry focusing on psychopathology and psychiatric classification
- Prof. Dr. Martin Heusser, full professor of 19th and 20th-century English literature
- Prof. Dr. Peter Schulthess, full professor of philosophy focusing on theoretical philosophy
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Schweinitz, full professor of film studies
- Prof. Dr. Jean-Pierre Burg, full professor of geology
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Kappeler, full professor of mathematics, in particular analysis
- Prof. Dr. George Lake, full professor of computational science
- Prof. Dr. John Anthony Robinson, full professor of organic chemistry
- Prof. Dr. Ulrich Straumann, full professor of experimental physics
- Prof. Dr. Carolus Ph. van Schaik, full professor of biological anthropology
- Prof. Dr. Markus Rudin, full professor of molecular imaging and functional pharmacology
The editorial team reserves the right to not publish comments. We will not publish anonymous, defamatory, racist, sexist, otherwise prejudiced, or irrelevant comments. UZH News will also not publish comments with advertising content.